Get to Know Our Staff! Support Staff

Recently we posted an article on “Get to Know Our Staff – Division Leaders” where we introduced our Division Leaders to you!  Today, we’d like to introduce our Support Staff to you.  They take care of everything from planning all the wonderful activities that we get to do with your children every day at camp, to taking care of the boo-boos and sometimes icky feelings when your child does not feel well, to making sure we are all eating healthy lunches and snacks while having fun!

Ruth Nathanson, Office Manager
Ruth has been our year-round office manager since 1993. She says that her priority is to make sure that all families feel comfortable enrolling their children at camp. Yet we all know that she is and does much, much more than that. She is the epitome of the loving, nurturing environment that is the essence of North Shore Day Camp.

Susan Passaro, Summer Office
“This will be my 16th summer at North Shore Day Camp. I love working at North Shore because it gives me the opportunity to be part of a fabulous summer experience for all the North Shore families. During the school year, I teach a Kindergarten class at a public school in Kew Garden Hills. The class is made up of general education students and students on the spectrum with ASD. Watching the natural friendships that form between children, regardless of their different abilities and interests is one of the many reasons why I love teaching and love my summers at North Shore.”

Susan Mechanic, Health Center Director
This will be Susan’s 14th year at North Shore. During the school year she is a school nurse in East Meadow. “I have been a nurse for over thirty years and this is my twenty-fourth summer as a camp nurse. Our office helps make sure that the fun time everyone has at camp is also a safe and healthy one”.

Anna Nemazi, Nurse
Anna’s vast nursing background includes many years as a staff nurse and assistant nurse manager in a local Queens emergency department. I am counting the days until camp begins!  Although I am a new staff member at NSDC, I am no stranger here.  My children and I have been part of the NSDC family for 5 years, and I am so excited to be joining the Health Center in making sure everyone at camp has a safe, healthy and fun summer!”

Lisa Safier, Program Director
This is Lisa’s 15th year here, starting as a counselor, and now in her 12th year as Program Director. “I have always had a love for camp… and I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my summers…I feel the same way about camp today as I did when I was a child… I am looking forward to another fabulous summer at North Shore and my goal is to make this summer’s program the best one yet.”

Marcy Kandel, Assistant Program Director
“I am excited to be here for my 6th summer at North Shore Day Camp, along with my children. As a mother of triplets, my priority is always what makes children happy. I am a camper at heart, and I believe that camp should be filled with friends and fun – which is what I am proud to be a part of at NSDC. I know that this summer will be the best one yet!”

Irene Leahy, Food Services Director
Irene holds the record for longevity at North Shore Day Camp: 23 years! During the year she is the Manager/Chef for the Locust Valley High School and Middle School. She and her staff work hard preparing and serving the freshest and healthiest meals in day camping.

Steve Duboff, Security Officer
This summer marks Steve’s 11th year at NSDC and we’re so glad to have him with us. The friendly and efficient manner in which he greets you at our gates has certainly made all visitors feel welcome. During the year he works for security at a Nassau County School District. “Have a good day and let’s be careful out there!”