SMART Academy – STEAM
North Shore Day Camp is excited to introduce our brand-new STEAM Academy called “SMART”!
S – Science
M – Math
A – Arts
R – Robotics
T – Technology
In “SMART” campers get the best of both worlds as they spend part of their day participating in a variety of areas such as Science, Engineering, Robotics, Coding, Rocketry, Computational Thinking, Digital Arts and more! And then join their group to participate in the rest of their camp day (i.e. sports, swim, adventure, etc.).
SMART Academy Details
- Grades 1-4 – SMART is for campers entering 1st-4th grade
- SMART will run for the full summer and campers can choose any number of weeks to participate in the program (i.e. 1 week, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, etc).
- Campers in SMART will participate in a variety of exciting projects that foster learning in key areas such as creative problem solving and creative confidence.
- It’s FREE! Campers can participate in SMART at no additional cost outside of our standard tuition.
See below for our Weeks 1-4 “SMART” workshops this summer!
Week 1: Digital Arts & Digital Design
It’s Design and Cooking Time! (1st – 4th Grade)
Put your creative hats on, as this week our campers will delve into the world of 3D Design and “Cooking with STEAM”. Campers will explore the world of 3D graphic design as they learn how to create in 3D and bring home their creations. Campers will also become North Shore Chef’s using STEAM in the Kitchen to create their own Solar Oven, create unicorn noodles and extract DNA from a Strawberry.
In Digital Arts & Design week campers will:
- Learn and master the Engineering Design process
- Explore the basics of 3D printing and design using TinkerCAD software to create a project camper will take home
- Discover how heat & energy work by building their own Solar Oven and making S’mores
- Observe what happens to rice noodles as the pH of water changes
- Learn how scientists study DNA by extracting the DNA from a Strawberry
Week 2: FIRST LEGO League Jr with Lego WeDO
Mission Moon Challenge
Who wants to build a Mission to the Moon using Lego WeDo?! Campers will be part of their very own NSDC Lego League, modeled after “First Lego League Jr” – an international robotics competition. Campers will build a lego rocket ship to get to the moon plus design and build a “moon base” to draw energy from the moon. The LEGO League Jr. program captures young campers’ curiosity and directs it toward discovering the wonders of science and technology.
In FIRST LEGO League Jr. campers will:
- Experience the challenges of living on the Moon
- Build and code Lego Robotics
- Use the fundamentals of computational thinking
- Collaborate with and work team members
Week 3: Junior Engineer Design & Game Design
It’s Rocket Time!
Campers will become NASA Engineers where they’ll learn about and create their own rockets before blasting them off into the atmosphere!
Ever want to design your own version of chutes and ladders or candy land?! This week campers will become game designers and create their own game that they can bring home and play.
In Engineering & Game Design week campers will:
- Learn concepts of Aerospace Engineering
- Create and test Rockets in ways seen at NASA’s Headquarters
- Learn concepts of force, projectile motion, engineering design, catapult history.
- Design and problem-solve as they explore the world of engineering and become junior design engineers
- Create, design and test their own board games
Week 4: It’s Coding Time (1st – 2nd Grade)
Campers will have fun while learning the basics of Programming, Collaboration Techniques, Investigation & Critical Thinking Skills, and Internet Safety. Campers will begin working with Coding Blocks to learn the basics of coding and then create their own program on Scratch. At the end of this course, campers will create their very own custom game from Play Lab that they can share with a link and play at home!
In “It’s Coding Time”, 1st & 2nd grade campers will:
- Explore hands-on Coding with Movement
- Working together to learn about “if then” Statements
- Act out algorithms
- Learn the fundamentals of computational thinking
- Discover the basics of coding by working with Coding Blocks & Scratch
Week4: CodeMaker – Code and Design Games with Scratch (3rd – 4th Grade)
Aspiring coders dive into creating animated stories and interactive experiences while learning essential programming concepts with Scratch. This drag-and-drop, creative environment developed by MIT uses Sprites and Code Blocks to set a foundation of computational thinking—an essential skill in this tech-driven world—enhanced by bright visuals and engaging design.
In CodeMaker, 3rd & 4th grade campers will:
- Create variables and “if-else” statements
- Program using Arithmetic Operators
- Design and animate Sprites
- Confidently and competently work with Scratch programming applications
- Experiment and explore to build creativity and confidence
Login to CampInTouch to Enroll Now